Wednesday 8 April 2015

Top Five Wednesday: Books You Wanted To Start Yesterday

This is my first time participating in Top 5 Wednesday, which is for booktubers (primarily) and book bloggers to join each week to discuss their five favourite things under a designated topic. This week focused on the top five books that you wanted to start yesterday. I have yet to read these five books, but I am very excited to start them some time this year.

top 5 books

1. Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis: I discovered Across the Universe accidentally. I was looking for a birthday present for my father, and found him an adult science fiction novel based aboard a spaceship. I then thought to myself, 'I wonder if there are any young adult novels set aboard a spaceship?', and discovered this little beauty.

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder. 
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules. 
Amy quickly realises that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone -- one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship -- tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next. 
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

2. Mila 2.0 (Mila 2.0, #1) by Debra Driza: I have been waiting to read a great science fiction series for a long time, and I recently discovered Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza when I was looking at the YA Highway blog. I have yet to read it, but it sounds absolutely amazing!

Mila was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was a girl living with her mother in a small Minnesota town. She was supposed to forget her past -- that she was built in a secret computer science lab and programmed to do things people would never do. 
Now she has no choice but to run -- from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology. However, what Mila's becoming is beyond anyone's imagination, including her own, and it just might save her life.

3. The Wicked We Have Done (Chaos Theory, #1) by Sarah Harian: I remember when Sarah Harian announced the release for The Wicked We Have Done and I was extremely excited. But I stopped reading a lot around the time of the release and never bought the book. But I came across it again recently and am eagerly waiting to begin reading it.

Evalyn Ibarra never expected to be an accused killer and experimental prison test subject. A year ago, she was a normal college student. Now she's been sentenced to a month in the compass room -- an advanced prison obstacle course designed by the government to execute justice. 
If she survives, the world will know she's innocent.  
Locked up with nine notorious and potentially psychotic criminals, Evalyn must fight the prison and dismantle her past to stay alive. But the system prized for accuracy appears to be killing at random. 
She doesn't plan on making friends. 
She doesn't plan on falling in love, either.

4. Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth: I know,  I know. What rock have I been living under? I have watched the movie, and cannot wait until the second is released on DVD -- but I have not read the books. I am determined to read this one some time during the year.

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue -- Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is -- she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. 
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are -- and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help save the ones she loves... or it might destroy her.

5. Justice Calling (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #1) by Annie Bellet: Justice Calling is a self-published novel by Annie Bellet. I have heard that it should be considered more of a novella rather than a novel, but all the reviews have stated that The Twenty-Sided Sorceress is the perfect series for geek-tastic individuals who enjoy novels with a lot of geeky references.

Gamer. Nerd. Sorceress. 
Jade Crow lives a quiet life running her comic book and game store in Wylde, Idaho. After twenty-five years fleeing from a powerful sorcerer who wants to eat her heart and take her powers, quiet suits her just fine. Surrounded by friends who are even less human that she is, Jade figures she's finally safe. 
As long as she doesn't use her magic. 
When dark powers threaten her friends' lives, a sexy shape-shifter enforcer shows up. He's the shifter world's judge, jury, and executioner rolled into one, and he thinks Jade is to blame. To clear her name, save her friends, and stop the villain, she'll have to use her wits... and her sorceress powers. 
Expect Jade knows that as soon as she does, a far deadlier nemesis awaits. 

-------

Want to join in on the Top 5 Wednesday fun? Click the button above!

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, welcome to the T5W family, Madeline! :) Oh and by the way, I love your header! Simple but beautiful! :)

    I really hope that we all get to read a book or two from our lists! I haven't heard of The Wicked We Have Done but it sure sounds like a pretty good book! :)

    http://anatomyofabooknerd.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much, Alena (I absolutely love your name)! I am very excited to become a member of this weekly challenge :) and I love your header, also. So cute!

      "The Wicked We Have Done" sounds awesome, kind of like The Hunger Games or The Maze Runner. I'm hoping to buy it within the next few weeks :)

      Delete
  3. Read Divergent. It was my favorite book of 2014. I saw the movie twice and enjoyed it. I just read insurgent and liked it but hated the movie. I did a review video of insurgent on my youtube channel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wanted to read Divergent ever since I saw the movie, the entire trilogy looks amazing! It disappoints me, however, that you don't like the second movie. I was looking so forward to it!

      Delete
  4. Great picks, Madeline! I read Across the Universe about a year ago and have yet to continue the trilogy. Maybe I should have put the next book on my T5W list! ;-)

    Here are my T5W picks: http://bit.ly/1DJXp3R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Tanya! When I stumbled across Beth Revis' book I just knew that I wanted to read it -- the cover, the plot, so captivating!

      Delete
  5. Great choices!! You must read Divergent! It is the book that really got me into reading. Here are my T5W picks: http://soulcleverbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am super excited to read Divergent, so once I get my hands on a copy I will be reading it immediately! Thank-you, Nicole!

      Delete
  6. I absolutely loved Across the Universe and not nearly enough people have read it, in my opinion. I hope you like it!

    x Ely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just ordered it, and I am so excited! It sounds like an awesome book and I'm surprised that I haven't come across it sooner :)

      Delete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com