Wednesday 15 April 2015

Top Five Wednesday: Most Frustrating Characters

I am very excited to share with you another Top 5 Wednesday, this time dedicated to my top five most frustrating characters. Strangely, I found this to be an extremely tough topic, but I managed to find five (or so) characters that just get on my nerves.


1. Catelyn Stark from Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin: I feel a little bad publicly announcing my frustration with Catelyn Stark (especially since, at certain times, I am capable of understanding the motivations behind her actions). But there are numerous events throughout the entire Game of Thrones series that left me with a growing distrust and frustration, i.e. her hatred for Jon Snow, leaving her younger children (one that is horribly injured, by the way) to help fight her eldest son's war and kidnapping Tyrion -- just to name a few examples. Does any other Game of Thrones fan feel this way? Or is it just me?

2. Bella Swan from Twilight by Stephenie Meyer: This may become a common answer throughout the top five most frustrating characters, but I could not stop myself from adding Bella Swan to my list. Bella was incredibly needy, insufferable and possessed cliched teenage protagonist characteristics, such as insecure and clumsy. Her feelings towards Edward Cullen grew tiresome and annoying. This was especially true during New Moon (I still feel sorry for Jacob, to be honest), but my frustration for Bella began to develop during the first Twilight book.

3. Tessa Gray from Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare: In the beginning of Cassandra Clare's new Shadowhunter series, Tessa Gray did not annoy me. I actually really enjoyed her character, especially since we shared the same love for books. But as the love triangle between the three main characters developed, Tessa's indecisiveness really began to get on my nerves -- probably because that quality in someone annoys me greatly. 

4. The Dursleys from Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling: Isn't this one pretty self-explanatory? All Harry Potter fans will understand where I am coming from here.

5. Daisy from The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald: Throughout The Great Gatsby, Daisy was an incredibly annoying character. I found it hard to believe that she was truly in love with Gatsby during their affair, and instead I believe that she was simply bored of her marriage. There was no way to sympathise with her either, even when her husband was cheating on her -- she only continued to make me annoyed and I did not enjoy the scenes she was in. 

Want to join in on the Top 5 Wednesday fun? Click the button above!

5 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH YES. Finally someone agrees with me about Catelyn Stark. I hated the way she treated Jon; it was really, really frustrating, because it's obvious he was a good guy. I mean... I kind of understood her motives at some points, but mostly it was just frustrating to read. (In saying that I do miss her character.) Such a great idea for a list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, someone agrees with me! :) I just think that she just directed her anger and frustrations to the wrong person -- she should not have blamed Jon for his birth, he had no control over that.

      Delete
  2. I never gave it much thought but you are totally on the mark with Catelyn Stark. And you are right, Bella made my list without much thought. Great list. You can catch mine at http://bookertsfarm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you! Catelyn Stark just annoyed me from the beginning, so my frustration only continued to grow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. I have found the fellow Catelyn haters. Thank God. I also dislike her intensely. It's not Jon's fault that he's Ned's kid. And it's not like he'll inherit anything ahead of Robb or the others, so why is she being such a horrible person to him? Take it out on the guy who cheated on you.

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com