Tuesday 14 April 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Inspiring Quotes From Books

This is my very first time participating in the popular weekly feature: Top Ten Tuesday, which is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. For this week, the challenge is to feature your top ten inspiring quotes from books, and I am very excited to show you all of my favourites quotes -- many of which are from my favourite books: Game of Thrones, City of Bones, Harry Potter and The Hungers Games, for example. A number of them have also made an incredible impact on me.

Now, if you want to check out this week's Top Ten Tuesday over at "The Broke and the Bookish",  all you have to do is click the image below:


1. Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin:
I remember exactly where I was when I was reading this quote from Tyrion Lannister: in my bedroom, alone after a hard day. I felt like it had slapped me in the place. It was exactly what I needed. This is my favourite quote of all time -- and I always re-read it when I am not feeling my best.

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you."

2. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare:
I think that any avid book reader will understand my absolute love for this quote. Because it is, without a doubt, incredibly true. Words are capable of changing us, allowing us a new perspective and Cassandra Clare reminded us of this power through this quote.

"One must always be careful of books", said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us."

3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling:
I was quite young when I read this quote, but I have always carried it with me, close to my heart. I think that this is a valuable lesson for anyone, no matter what your age.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

4. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins:
I recently re-read The Hunger Games and this quote really stood out for me this time round. I am probably taking it a little out of context, but just saying this quote over and over again is really inspiring and personally motivating.

"I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun."

5. The Pact by Jodi Picoult:
This might be the saddest quote that I have on the list and you are probably wondering why I find it inspiring. To be honest, I find it to be more of a reminder of how we should treat others.

"You know, the mind is a remarkable thing. Just because you can't see the wound doesn't mean it isn't hurting. It scars all the time, but it heals."

6. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling:
I love this quote because it really hits the mark. There are many times where we are blind to other people's actions, especially those that are in a higher position than us (i.e. celebrities, bosses, teachers, etc.). But, if we open our eyes, we may see them for who they truly are.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

7. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare:
This is definitely a quote that many people need to remember.

"Not everything that's true needs to be said."

8. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult:
This is a fantastic reminder to never leave a single stone unturned, and to never let an opportunity slip through your fingertips.

"Extraordinary things are always hiding in places people never think to look."

9. A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin:
How many times have you been ashamed of being afraid? This is such a beautiful quote, reminding people that how they face fear is more important. We can either cower in fear, or accept it, grow and move on.

"There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it."

10. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald:
The moment that I first read this quote I stared at the page for a long time. I definitely think that this is one of those quotes that makes you reconsider how you treat everyone around you.

"Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead."

 What do you think of these quotes? What are your favourite inspiring quotes from books? 

10 comments:

  1. I really like the quote on clockwork by cassandra clare

    Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a beautiful quote, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  2. Great list! I looove that quote from Goblet of Fire, it's brilliant. Great choice from The Hunger Games, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Jess! It is definitely one of those quotes that I could not pass up the opportunity of sharing :)

      Delete
  3. I love the quote from Clockwork Angel - it perfectly sums up my relationship with books! And I've never read The Hunger Games (don't judge me!), but that quote is pure beauty. It's so empowering!
    (Thank you for commenting on my blog - yours is so lovely, and I probably never would have stumbled upon it if left to my own devices!)
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Beth! Thank-you for commenting on my blog! I stumbled across your blog whilst looking through the other participants of "Top Ten Tuesday" and I fell in love with it. So beautiful! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Madeline!
    This is a really good list! Great choices! I can't choose one favourite from this list, so my favourites are:
    - 1) Game of Thrones
    - 4) Hunger Games
    - 6) Goblet of Fire
    - 9) Clash of Kings (my top fave from this list) :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that quote from A Clash of Kings! Too bad I still haven't read it yet, I've only read the first book. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Stefanie! It's a beautiful quote, isn't it? Hope that you are enjoying the series, it is definitely my favourite :)

      Delete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com